Monday, August 6, 2007

Again..Really? It can't be!

Another up and down day here in the PICU. This morning the cardiologist on hospital rounds said she heard a "gallop" in her heartbeat and ordered an echocardiogram. I knew right away that something was amiss....I heard the cardiogoligst and technician talking and pointing to the screen. Yep....another VSD. Then she told us she couldn't find her pulmonary arteries on the echo, that those arteries might be too small... and then that her heart function was not at the level she would expect from Kate's heart! YIKES...I just felt the pit in the bottom of my stomach...again. She did tell us she said the VSD was small and it is typical not be able to see the pulmonary arteries and that medicine could be given to improve her heart function. But still.....Andy and I had visions of another surgery. How could she handle that? How? Again? Our world was pretty rocked for a while.

In fact...my parents got the "Andy is calling...this isn't good" phone call. Mom was on the road within an hour.

In the meantime, we talked with the intensivist. He assured us the VSD is really small and shouldn't cause a problem. The pressure should decrease and the pulmonary arteries will grow and they expect that due to her heart repair. And as far as the function....it will improve. We were a little relieved to hear this. Final confirmation came later this evening, around 5:45. When Dr. Abraham came and confirmed that all was good, expected and nothing should cause problems. Really, this was nothing new, besides the residual VSD.

Wow! Thanks for the "nice ride" today...not! I'm to the point where I just curl up on the couch and cover myself with a blanket. I think it freaks Andy out a bit (that is usually when he goes and calls my mom!) I think I'm riding right on the edge....it doesn't take much on day 12 to push me over...thank God I got pulled back today.

Our world is still rocking...waiting for her to come off the vent. They are still making progress towards taking her off tomorrow. She has been waking some today. She gets really gaggy with the tube down her throat (who wouldn't)...but overall she is pretty calm.

My mom is here for a few days. Tonight she cooked us spaghetti in the camper....nothing fancy, but boy did it hit the spot. Seth and Andy's parents are planning to come back down for a visit very soon. As always, Seth is having a great time at his grandparents.

I tell you...I don't wish this ICU life on anyone....it's enough to take everything out of you! God....give us the grace and mercy we so desperately need right now!

6 comments:

Deanna said...

Bless you, dear ones. I was so, so saddened to hear that you had a hard day.... but SO, SO thankful to hear the good news from Dr. Abraham. Wish I was there to offer a hug.... Know that we'll keep praying and believing that Kate will be safe and sound AT HOME VERY SOON!!!

Love you all!

Mel said...

Hiding under a blanket - sounds OK to me. Made me think of this...

Psalm 27:5
For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

Melissa said...

Just checking in on you all. Gary's sister and brother in law and kids are here for a visit before heading to Holiday World. There were prayers abound for Kate tonight in our household. Logged on to see the day you have had and I'm sorry. I can imagine how scared you were/are and wish you a little peace and comfort knowing there will be no further surgery at this time.

Hang in there and hang on to each other. She will need you strong when she's extubated and ready for extra loving! Take care, don't think I'll be seeing you til Friday!

Sara (McKee) Colter said...

Andy, Krista, Seth, and Kate:

Joshua was chosen to lead the Isrealites into the Promised Land after Moses had died. God told him over and over "Be strong and corageous"..."I will never leave you nor forsake you". God chose Joshua because He knew that Joshua was strong and corageous...and that he was strong in his faith. God does not give us more than we can handle. "My yolk is easy and my burden is light"...Trust in Him the Giver and Sustainer of life. God knows that baby Kate can handle this...He is telling her to be strong and corageous and that He will never leave nor forsake her. God gave baby Kate and big brother Seth very strong and corageous parents. Joshua's task, to me, would have looked very grim because of how the people had acted under Moses' leadership...but even so, Joshua was chosen by God to do the task because God knew that he could do it because he was strong and corageous and was a man of great faith. You are able to "press on" with the strength that comes only from God, who knows that you can do this..."be strong and corageous"..."I will never leave you nor forsake you". I hope these words, this insight finds you well as you spend another day...I pray that you rejoice in the Lord whatever the circumstances...as He alone will pull you through. You are being thought of and prayed for down here in Georgia.

Anonymous said...

Thank God this morning was not as bad as first thought. I was having lunch with your parents when that dreaded "Andy call" came, and shared their fears. Kate, you and Andy, and Seth are constantly in our prayers. We have never seen a family so strong and so faithful at such a trying time. Thank you for your inspiration. Linda Dupont

Shelly Ladwig said...

Krista - I want you to know that my prayers are with you. I can't imagine how hard the up and down must be.