Friday, August 24, 2007

Back In My Arms Again


Back in my arms...anxiously awaiting some food!

This afternoon, around noon, I was able to hold Kate again. The arterial line came out and now she's mine whenever I wish. She also got the NG tube out of her nose and is no longer on any continuous IV's. She does get occasional IV medicines...but at least it's not constant.

She has been a little cranky this afternoon and evening. Her throat is sore from the tube. Her chest is sore from compressions. Her leg is sore from where they tried to drill into her bone to get fluid in at Lutheran. And...I'm guessing she's a little gassy from eating for the 1st time in 3 days. Plus...she may still be having a little withdrawal...poor thing...I feel so sorry for her...she's breaking my heart.

Speaking of which..she is loving eating again. She has taken 4 bottles today and some yogurt. She is doing really well. YEAH!

We did have a little scare this afternoon as the cardiologist was afraid she might be in atrial flutter...but after an EKG and a careful examination of her rhythm, he concluded she wasn't. I was concerned because she wasn't showing any signs and just finished taking a great bottle. Turns out her rhythm is really hard to read and her "P Waves" don't show up real well. But...so far so good as far as her staying in her sinus rhythm. We're still nervous about her heart rhythm and am praying that it will stabilize and stay consistent.

Dennis and Carol Massey from church surprised me this afternoon with a visit...thanks for sharing some time with us. My college roomie, Mira, took me out again for dinner as Andy is back in the Fort for a few days. Mira has been so faithful and generous to me during our stint(s) in Indy. Andy picked up Seth and took him to Nana and Oompa's to have a slumber party with the cousins! Andy is tying up loose ends we left on Tuesday and going to school to get a couple weeks of lesson plans done. He'll be back on Sunday.

So...overall a good day. More and more tubes came out and it's always great when she is able to start eating again. Prayers that she gets more comfortable and is able to rest peacefully. Love to all!

Getting the 1st taste of some food in several days....so good to see her excited about food!

Dennis and Carol Massey getting their photo shoot with Kate.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that things are better-how wonderful that you can hold Kate again.
My heart goes out to you...again and again...you are so precious in God's sight and Kate is so blessed to have you as her mother. We can't understand why God has given you this road to travel, but we certainly know that He is with you all of the way.
Prayers and hugs to all of you,
Brenda D. (I work with Amy at Patent Awards).

Anonymous said...

Good to see her dressed again.
Seth had a great time with his cousins tonight. They were all going to sleep in one bed and I thought they were asleep when suddenly Seth appeared in the living room. He went to sleep in our bed with Mollie and I just took his downstairs to your old room. He needs a good nights sleep for all the adventures he is going to have with Lucas and Elijah tomorrow.
Good night to my two precious girls. Nana

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I have been away from your blog since you went home. I didn't expect so much drama!!!! I was reading your blog almost everyday but never commented. Girlfriend!!! I don't know how you do it! You HAVE been an inspiration to many...as I have read...but to add to that...a friend of mine in FL has been keeping up as well. She is unchurched. She says reading your story is so inspirational to her. So, I know it is by the sacrifice of your comfort level...but many have been touched by your faith in God through all this! Prayers going out to you! We love you!
LeeAnne S.

Rachel Bell said...

yay!! kate looks happy in the pics :D it is soooo good to see her not all tied up ...

and what a small world -- carol massey was my 7th grade english teacher at memorial park ... ten years ago, whoa ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Krista. I have been following Kate’s miraculous and perilous journey with my heart aching for all of you. The roller coaster ride of high and low emotions sounds incredibly taxing. Know that you have legions of supporters, cheering you on every step of the way!

The best way I have found to answer unanswerable fears is to have your head stay where your feet are. This is a long journey. If you spend a lot of time looking out the rear window with the “coulda’, woulda’, shoulda’s,” you miss all of the sights that are right there, right now. If you look too far down the road, anticipating obstacles with the “what ifs,” you likewise miss the current blessings.

Setting a time limit for woes, is helpful for me. I’ll give myself ten minutes (by the clock) to be scared/angry/sad. After that, I just try to take life on life’s terms, one day, or hour, or minute, at a time. There is so much good here right now… Kate’s smile, her bright eyes, her personal fragrance, the way she snuggles. Enjoy it All! You deserve “good” time together.

Love and Hugs, Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey KK!

Loved spending time with you last night ... glad the rest of your evening was uneventful. :)

I'll see you & Miss Kate on Sunday!

XOXO,
Mira

Anonymous said...

So good to see a smile on Kate's face behind the paci. Sure hope that everything is positive from here on out for awhile. We talked a lot about Kate and her adventures last night at dinner. As always, prayers are with you everyday. God bless!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that Kate is doing much better now.

We are praying for each of you.

Anonymous said...

So good to see you smiling with Kate in your arms. And ready to eat again. Know Seth is having a fun time with Lucas and Elijah at Nana and Oompa's.
Love and hugs,
Art & Reen

Anonymous said...

So good to see you smiling with Kate in your arms. And ready to eat again. Know Seth is having a fun time with Lucas and Elijah at Nana and Oompa's.
Love and hugs,
Art & Reen