Monday, August 6, 2007

Intubation Rug

I just finished a rug I have been working on.....since last October when Kate was in ICU. I got about half of it done last year when I had nothing else to do but sit. For obvious reasons, it sat in the closet for the past few months until I pulled it out again to bring to Indy. Well...it is done and I'm telling Kate it is our "intubation rug" Now that it is finished...she has no reason to stay intubated...I have all the time in the world now to hold her, cuddle her and love on her.


The intensivist has made his rounds and they are going to start taking baby steps in getting her off the vent. Her chest xray looks tons better! PRAISE GOD! She has gotten a ton of fluid off! PRAISE GOD! The main obstacle right now is the amount of pressure (title volume) it takes to get her lungs full of air. They call it: "her lungs are stiff" So...with more nutrition (they have upped her food to 20cc an hour), more alertness (they have turned down her sedation drip) and tweaking the pressures on her vent...they think it will be within the next 24 hours or so.

As always...I am so anxious. I just keep reminding myself that it is better not to rush anything and give her the time she needs....so we are patient...not really, but we try!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! She will have something to remember the time you spent making that while you two were in the hospital together. My mom made us a blanket! Hearfully, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for Kate's progress! We have been keeping all of you in our prayers. I check the blog several times a day, and it is great to be able to travel down this road with you. Just wish we could do more. When you get home perhaps we can. Hugs to all. Linda Dupont

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going well. We are keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Great to hear Kate is active. The Siglins

Anonymous said...

We'll certainly be praying for Kate to get off the vent. We are so pleased at her progress!! God bless!! As always, thanks for keeping us all informed.

Dave & Nancy

Anonymous said...

"Lord, Grant me Patience... RIGHT NOW!" (smile) Love and Hugs, Susan

Anonymous said...

So pleased to hear that Kate is doing so well. It is good that she is getting more nutrition via the G tube and she will soon be more awake and alert. We continue to keep all of you in our prayers.
Bonnie & Jerry

Deanna said...

Praying that tonight is a great night for all of you!!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Great news! Glad things are progressing (slowly but surely)! Go, Kate, go! :)

Krista, I really want to come visit you but haven't been able to make it work out with Ken's crazy schedule. You've been in my thoughts constantly, though.

Gina