Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Perfect Storm

Kate continues to do well...she is awake...she turned the pages of a book...she studies pictures in a book....She tries to catch the fish in her fish aquarium...She really looks good. SHE IS JUST SO DARN GONE CUTE...but it almost kills mommy and Nana when she start crying....that's all it takes to set us off too!

The cardiologist, the rhythm expert, spent quite a bit of time with Kate today. He gave her some special medicine that slowed her heart rate down to the 80's for just a few seconds so that he could really study her rhythm. After looking at it for a while...and a 45 minute conversation with his mentor/colleague in Cincinnati...he determined that she is in Sinus Rhythm (sinus being a regular rhythm). He does think she has a short delay between when the atrium fires and then the ventricle contracts, which may or may not cause problems or get worse. So...at this time he doesn't see the need to do that heart cath. They will watch her over the next few days....there is a small possibility that she may need an internal pacemaker installed down the road...but for the immediate, that doesn't appear necessary. She is just going to be the kinda kid that when she doesn't eat or appears sick, we immediately take her in to be seen and not "wait it out!" Her heart will never be "normal" and she will probably always have some sort of arrhythmia issues...our hope and prayer is that she is able to tolerate them and show definite signs if she can't! I tell you one thing...we are all getting our CPR accreditation up to date!

So...there still seems to be a "mystery" as to exactly why her heart stopped yesterday. Different doctors seem to have different views. So, in my medical expertise, I am labeling it as the "perfect storm" A combination of being dehydrated, high potassium levels, her arrhythmia problems, her heart being "sick", the trauma of being in the ER and on the ambulance and helicopter...it all came together and WHAM....But, in God's perfect timing HE waited until the PERFECT TIME, to allow it to happen. God is watching over us...it is truer to me now than I have ever experienced before in my life. There were just too many inopportune times for her to arrest...and SHE DIDN'T.

We were blessed by a couple visitors today! Pastor Chuck from church came and spent several hours with us! Thank you....your presence and prayer were a great comfort to us. And...my cousin Martha, along with her husband, Larry and son, Peter, came for a visit from Southern Indiana (they were in town for an appointment...but really appreciate taking the time to find us and spend time with us!) The day really seem to fly by....visitors really help with that!

Larry and Martha lovin' on Kate


Pastor Chuck and Kate

The plan for tonight is to try and wean her off the vent and prayerfully get her off the vent in the morning. Then we can get back to eating, gaining strength and getting her home again....but not too soon! I think I'll be a little cautious this time! All in all a pretty good day for Miss Kate...and for Andy, his day was complete because he had a Charleston Chew....a favorite of his from his childhood....if we all could find such simple pleasure in life!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for family and your pastor. It is good to have them come and keep you company and check in on Miss Kate. Hope you have a good night's rest and an even better day tomorrow.
Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless each of you.

Bonnie & Jerry

Anonymous said...

Krista & Andy

Just decided I wanted to go back to your blog tonight and you had an update. It will help us sleep tonight knowing things are better and seeing the photos of Kate. She looks comfortable. Pacemakers are ok if she needs one. My heart goes out to you as I know you are exhausted. Try to get some sleep tonight. Hugs and love from Art and Reen

Anonymous said...

It is a really good candy bar.
....Andy

Deanna said...

So thankful to read the good report tonight.... she is such a doll. I always love seeing pictures of your little beauty! I'll be praying for sweet dreams for all of you tonight and a WONDERFUL day tomorrow!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

It's good to remember that intimacy of thought passes between people without words. Kate KNOWS that you and Andy, and the whole team, are "there" for her, praising and encouraging her, providing safe haven with your love. It's the best medicine in the world!

Keep on keeping on, Krista. You're doing a Great Job!!

Love and Hugs, Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Nikki and I am from Michigan. I stumbled upon a website "Ramona Mae" where I found a link to your page. After spending several minutes crying - I feel like I must respond. My nephew was born with Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia two years ago. Praise God he has only had to have one surgery so far and has been very healthy. My sister and I are running the Chicago Marathon in October and are raising money for Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago - where Clark basically spent the first year of his life. THe hardest thing was seeing your little Kate post-surgery. It brought back a lot of the painful memories of how it was to see our little Clark in that same spot. What amazes me the most is seeing the CONSTANT mention of God and of your church, etc. Praise God that you have such a strong support system - that is the only thing that got my sis and brother in law through it. God created Kate's little heart! I will pray diligently with you guys that God will heal her heart. That he will give her cardiologists and her surgeons the wisdom and the knowledge that they need to know how to treat her and help her. And of course, I will pray that He will show you a peace that surpasses all understanding.
God bless you and your family!
Nikki

Melissa said...

I'm glad to hear she's doing well and they're ready to wean the vent! I want to see her smile when I come in tomorrow night! Take care, get some sleep. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Krista and Andy,
We love getting to read the updates. We love you all and are praying for you so much. I'm sorry that I have not been able to see you for some time. I'm glad Chuck was able to come. We are praying for you all and love you all so much!

Carla