Saturday, August 4, 2007

She's Awake...She's Asleep...She's Awake...

Kate had a another great night. We are so grateful to have not received any of those late night phone calls on our cell phone. She has been waking up quite a bit this morning...giving us 2-3 minute glimpses of her beautiful "groggy" eyes. She has really been kicking her little feet...I love it when she moves her little toes.

They...the powers that be... were hoping to wean her off the vent today, but wouldn't you know Kate's chest xray was a little "junkier" today, compared to yesterday. Unfortunately, the xray doesn't show them exactly what the problem is. They are pretty sure it is not infection due to the fact she has not been feverish and her white blood count is normal. They think it is either extra fluid in her lungs...which they will try to get off today with added diuretics or, if that doesn't work today, they might do an ultrasound to see if it is trapped fluid in a lung pocket which would require a chest drain, which the surgeon would do here in the room.

I'm beginning to get anxious...I think I have just a few more days in me before I get really "worked up" (for lack of a better word) about her being in ICU on the vent. I keep reassuring myself (and Andy too) that it just TAKES TIME!

She is getting some good food...normal formula down the tube in her nose. It will go into her tummy and satisfy some hunger...actually, probably not, it's only 5cc an hour! But...she is still getting the TPN intravenously, so she can gain strength.

Looks like it might be a pretty long day for us today. Maybe I will get some of my projects done I brought along...maybe watch a couple movies...maybe take a nap.

Dr. Abraham just came in...says she is progressing nicely. I guess that is all we can ask for.

Seth is having a great time with Andy's parents...they have been so supportive of us and in keeping Seth. I think they may be headed to a water park today or tomorrow...Seth will love that.

Well...I think we're off to the camper for some lunch. Have a great day! Love to all our dedicated blog readers...our friends, family and strangers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Kate is waking some. We contiue to keep her in our prayers along with the rest of you! Hang in there!

Kelly & Jamie Smeltzer

Melissa said...

Glad you are getting to see her awake. I hope you had a nice anniversary, and as parents it seems as though "our" holidays are no longer our own! Kate and Seth are so blessed that you two found each other and were able to create such beautiful children! See you tonight!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that Kate is progressing nicely per Dr. Abraham.
I know your days are very long there. I'm sure it helps when you get reassuring news. Prayers still coming your way!

Dave & Nancy

Mel said...

Here is a story of how far and wide you are touching people.

On my way to open the pool this morning, I stopped to say hello to a neighbor. After a 15 minute visit I mentioned where I was going - that it was just a temporary duty as we filled in for friends whose baby was recovering from surgery in Indy. She said "it isn't baby Kate, is it?". She happened to be friends with one of the librarians who does story time who met Krista and the kids. This neighbor of mine - who does not know the Laymans or Kings, has been praying for Kate and checking the blog periodically. She also sends emails sometimes to her "prayer warrior" friends who are also praying for you all. I thought this was a truly amazing story about the body of Christ. Sweet dreams, Kate.

1 Corinthians 12:12
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.