Thursday, August 2, 2007

This Stinks!

This family separation thing is for the birds...I'm lovin' that Seth is here in Indy with us today/tomorrow...but at the same time, it just makes the reality of all of this so much real! Seth arrived in Indy around 4 with Nana and Oompa. We spent some time just chatttin in the family waiting room. Then all of us went to pizza at CiCi's Pizza...one of our favorite pizza buffets here in Indy. Andy and I had a great time with Seth as we went swimming at the motel while all 4 grandparents stayed with Kate.

Then...bedtime...in the camper. My parents brought the camper down and are staying the night in a section of the parking lot reserved for RV's. Seth was really tired, and that just added to the drama of bedtime. He just wanted me to lay with him, hold him and rub his back! It was enough to bring me to tears. It's almost as though you begin living in this "fake" world here in the hospital...there is a part of you that "forgets" that the rest of the world, including your precious son, is out there...living life....without you....and that stinks!

Tonight...it almost broke my heart. We were talking and I told him how much I love him and miss him. He then asked me: "Do you miss me when I'm gone?" YUCK!! But...the smile on his face when I told him I think of him and miss him every minute of every day, even when he is gone....made my day! I know he is doing "fine" and won't remember all of this...but still....THIS STINKS! I don't know how families do it who are gone multiple months...I guess God's grace pulls you through...but wow!

Andy and I got away for a couple hours earlier this afternoon and saw a movie....I actually found myself distracted for an hour or two. We are so fortunate to have both sets of our parents so willing to stay with Kate so we can get a little respite!

As far as Kate...overall she is doing well. She did develop an infection in her breathing tube/lungs. They seem to think they caught it quickly while it was still a small cell...they quickly began antibiotics and are on top of it. She looks better in that the swelling has gone done, but she is beginning to show obvious signs of losing weight....all those precious pounds we worked so hard gaining. But...now that her heart is fixed, she should put those pounds right back on.

So...we don't expect much the next few days...just for the infection to clear up and Kate get stronger. We're looking forward to a couple more hours with Seth in the morning before he heads back to Portland for a couple days. Thanks for the prayers and comments...you are pulling us through....THANK YOU!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can so understand your message. Art and I have said the same about all that is going in in your lives. We are so happy that Kate is doing well after 2 surgeries and that they caught her infection right away. Glad that Oompa and Nana have the RV to bring down there. A little touch of home. Enjoy the time with Seth. Hoping you are all home soon and enjoying family life once again. Love and hugs, Art & Reen

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping tabs on you several times a day, every day, all week long. :)

I'm glad you got to spend some time with Seth and your parents this week. I'm off to the airport now, but will check-in with you on Saturday afternoon/evening to see if you're up for an outing on Sunday morning.

XOXO,
Mira

Anonymous said...

Krista & Andy,

I am so glad to hear that Kate is doing well! I think you're right that you all are in good hands at St. Vincent Hospital. I am praying that the doctors have wisdom to know exactly what to do and when to do it! I know that it stinks having your family split up in an "unreal" environment, but things are going well ~ Kate is receiving such good care, Seth is being looked after by your wonderful family who would do anything for you, and hopefully you are feeling the prayers and love that your family & friends are showering on you daily. I am going to be by to see you soon. I hope that you had a good anniversary. I KNOW that you'd rather be in Fort Wayne than Indy celebrating.
Lifting you up in prayer, Amy Givens

Melissa said...

Krista, I can only imagine how hard it is to be away from one child while having to endure watching another child go through so much. I'm glad you got some special time with Seth and you're right, he won't remember this. I'm sorry to hear about Kate's infection, glad I didn't have to tell you about that one! ;o) I'll see you all tonight!

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you had some time with Seth. I know he enjoyed it, too. Kate is holding her own - great! We know how hard this is on all of you, but soon you can all be back home together. God bless!! Dave & Nancy

Anonymous said...

Happy 5th annivervary! I hope you can find a way to celebrate and just enjoy each other today. So glad you got to see Seth and that Kate is making progress.
Love and prayers,
Carol M.

Anonymous said...

Krista & Andy
Happy Anniversary!

Love and hugs,
Art & Reen