Wednesday, September 5, 2007

WE NEED A MIRACLE



Another crazy day here in the PICU. Everything started out fine this morning...but I was hoping nothing was too wrong when they did an EKG and echocardiogram. Dr. Kumar, a cardiologist, came in and had a pretty frank discussion with me. He basically told me that her heart function was not getting better and her long-term prognosis was not good. The cardiologist had discussed her case and could see no surgical method to improve her function. Her right side pressure was high, there was leakage with her tri-cuspid valve...it was a pretty doom and gloom conversation.... and I was freaked out. Kate was showing no signs of "heart failure" to me...she was eating, playing...looking good to me.


I quickly called Andy who was out of school and on the road, again, to Indy. That's his 3rd COME NOW drive to Indy. I also called mom...and had my cry with her. Andy called his parents and they were on their way too!


Dr. Parikh, the cardiologist who has followed her from birth came in an talked with us some more. He was much more optimistic. Yes...her heart function is not improving. They have not seen any improvement from a "echo" standpoint. And that is concerning to them. They expect her heart to be improving....and it is not. But...Dr. Parikh said there is still a possibility that it will...a better than half chance. The trauma her heart has withstood the past 6 weeks is a lot for a little girl. WE NEED A MIRACLE! They said they would know in the next 3-6 months if her heart is not improving. We feel better...but it is still hard hard news to hear. The biggest scare is if she were to get sick right now, her heart does not have a lot of reserve to withstand an illness. They are keeping us on the PICU for now...and will continue to make all strides in getting her home.


I asked how one doctor could say that she had a poor diagnosis and another a decent prognosis...his reply was that doctors are different, have different histories and can take the same "medical info" and see it in different ways. And...it just happened that Dr. Kumar was more of the solemn, half empty doctor. It is so much better to hear from the half full doctors.


So...Andy is back here for a few days again. Larry and Cathy are spending the night again...and Seth is being loved on in Ft. Wayne by Nana, Oompa, Art & Maureen. I tell you...this girl takes a village to care for.


So...we are still in need of lots of prayers...for Kate's heart and for her parent's sanity and peace of mind. God can do miracles...I know He can....and I'm waiting!

11 comments:

Judy Davis said...

Dear Krista & Andy, You never know what to think,
do you? We are praying for the best - that Kate's heart can get strong.
Miracles can happen! She is such a very cute one!
Glad to know that Seth did fine with his first day of school. I start teaching 2 year olds tomorrow (four of them) at Our Hope Lutheran in Huntertown. I hope they all don't cry at the same time. Love to you. Judy & Charlie

Melissa said...

Krista, I was on the unit today and noticed your door shut and curtain pulled. I knew something had to be wrong, as you guys are almost always open for visitors. Then while in the lobby for the "announcement" I saw Andy come back. Knowing he had planned to be teaching this week, that confirmed my worst fears. I logged on as soon as I got home. I am lifting our Kate up in prayer as I type and will hold you all in my thoughts. I can only imagine the difficulty of all of this for you all.

I will see you all Friday night. Please let me know if there is anything I can bring you. God bless you all!

Etta said...

Dear Krista, I have been following Kate's journey down here in Florida. Even when we were on vacation in North Carolina last week, you all were on my mind. We had an opportunity to get together with Art and Maureen. It was so good to see and visit with them. I know they are in Fort Wayne now helping with Seth. You are so fortunate to have so many friends and family to love and support you. There are so many that go thru their trials and tribulations by themselves. I just wish I was up there to help out but I do have Baby Kate and your family in my prayers. God does not give us more than we can handle and he knows that you will get thru whatever you have to deal with because of all the love and faith that you have - and 'yes' we will pray for a miracle. Kate is so cute and I just love to see her pictures. Sending prayers from Florida. Etta and Dave

Deanna said...

I'm so thankful that our God is still in the miracle business!!! Know that I'll be praying for BIG things for Miss Kate... and for PERFECT HEALING!!!! I'm praying in belief that it will be done!!!

I love the passage in Mark 9 when Jesus heals a boy.... He says (vs 23-24):
"'Everything is possible for him who believes.' Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!'"

Praying tonight that God will meet you in the midst of your need, fill up your empty places, and help you overcome any hint of unbelief. Our God IS faithful.... and our God is good!!! He's crazy about you!!!

Love you so much friends!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Krista, we are only human beings, not given to know the future. The only thing we can do is to savor This Very Moment... Kate's joy on a wagon ride outdoors, Seth's big grin as he heads off for school, dirty faces, and close cuddles.

Whatever the path, You Are Not Alone. You have legions of supporters, cheering you on every step of the way, celebrating the small steps, and present in heart and mind to share the burdens and hard times.

Know that All of You are Loved.

Love and Hugs, Susan

Anonymous said...

I hope that you can hang on to the half full glass. Several days of good news and then this - certainly a letdown. However, the second doctor sure sounded a lot more positive. We will continue to pray that all will go the "miracle" way.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dear Krista & Andy, I sit up here and read your blog everyday and ride the emotional roller coaster with you. Kate is never far from my thoughts. It was fun seeing her in the wagon! I'll bet she and Nana had a great time.
What fun it was also to see Seth on his first day of school. It's been a while but I remember those bitter sweet moments in my life with my children and grandchildren.
You are all in my prayers daily. "Our God is an awesome God". I remember singing that in church with Nana leading us. God has plans that we don't know or understand sometimes but we must trust in His wisdom. May He be a source of comfort you and a healer for Kate. Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

I have just sent your most recent picture of Baby Kate to 48 of my Prayer Warriors to ask for the Miracles that our God can send to her little heart. Praying is what we can do Best and I have made sure that these people know of her struggles. I just know God has a plan for her and for her very special family. John and I pray for that strength to get all of you through this. Come on Kate you can do it. The Power of God is in there. John and Linda S

Anonymous said...

Hey KK,

Remember the conversation we had during ice cream last weekend? Keep that close to your heart.

XOXO,
Mira

Anonymous said...

Krista, I often find myself withdrawing when things get tough. You have been dealing with the greatest challenges and reach out to others for strength and support. Thank you for teaching an old girl a better way! May you feel the love, support and prayers of so many who love you...sending hugs that you feel surrounded with love and prayers like a cocoon of support! That glass is always half full! Warmly, Donna

Anonymous said...

Krista & Andy,

Hope today was a better day...but I'm worried since you didn't post anything. I can't believe the ups and downs you are experiencing. When we talked Tuesday, it sounded like Kate may be coming home next week...and now this! It must be difficult seeing her looking so well but knowing there may be problems down the road. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep up posted.

Gina