Friday, January 25, 2008

3 Rings (and boys) of Fun

We just got back from the Shrine circus with the Seth and his 2 cousins, Elijah & Lucas. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The acrobatics were amazing and the stunts mystifying...but honestly the animal acts kinda bothered me. The kids absolutely loved the bears, tigers, elephants, horses and goats...but I just felt really really sorry for them...knowing they can't have much of a natural life. I know circus animal acts are controversial...and now I better understand why. But...at the same time...I am completely amazed at what they can train a bear to do!

But...the rest was really entertaining...and the boys really seemed to enjoy it, especially the dirt bikes in the wheel! So... a great night for 3 little boys: time to play with the cousins....dinner at McDonalds...tons of snacks at the circus and just plain fun! It was a treat! We had great seats...just 5 rows up from the floor...right in front of the ring with all the action!Here's the guys showing off their "tough" football stance before heading out! How cute are they?

Enjoying our $15 worth of snowcones---Yikes...that place is a money trap! And wouldn't you know it...both Lucas and Seth decided they didn't like them....placed them on the ground, proceeded to knock them over...at which point my feet were sitting in a snowcone syrup ($10 worth) all night! But between the peanuts, popcorn and cotton candy...we all got a little fix of circus snacks....isn't that why you go to the circus? Fortunately...we managed to avoid the glow-in-the-dark mania...much to Lucas' sadness...but really...$12 for a light-up sword! Give me a break!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista,

You are an inspiration and model of God's grace for us all.

I am overwhelmed by your faith and your commitment to Seth. It would be so easy to stay in bed all day, instead you are knee deep in sugar syrup!

It is clear that you know God's plan, and you know He is with you always.

Peace,
Susan

Anonymous said...

What fun. I love the circus. I am so glad you were able to do something so fun with Seth. He will remember this for a long time. You are doing good and I know that God is the one giving you and Andy the strength and comfort that you guys need to keep going. Hang in there and we are still praying for you continually and thinking of you all.
Sheri for us four

Mel said...

I'm with you on the animal thing! Were any of the boys freaked out by the clowns? My guys won't go near the circus because they think the clowns are "scary"! My heart is warmed and my faith encouraged to read your words and to see these pictures. Sadness continues, but smiles are sprinkled in. The song is wonderful. Grace & peace to you friends.

Mina said...

It's great to see that some sense of 'normal' is coming back into your life. Sounds like the boys loved the circus. My kids have always been big circus fans too!

Melissa said...

How fun! I always loved the circus when I was young! I have done the spending tons of money on circus goodies only to have Joshua decide he didn't like it also! But it's great fun for the kids and what can you expect except to walk out with sticky shoes!

Continuing to pray for you all daily!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Laymans and Kings.

What a wonderful Circus story -- I could feel the icky syrup.. LOL
And Krista, I, too, have reservations about the care of wildlife which are kept for entertainment purposes. You are incredibly honest to write about this issue in your blog!

On another note, I read this poem late last night and immediately thought of Kate.
I know she wishes you sunshine.

I'm Free
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free
I'm following the path, God laid for me
I took his hand when I heard Him call
I turned my back and left it all

I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I found that place, at the close of day

If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss
Ah, yes, these things I too will miss

Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow
My life's been full, I savored much;
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief
Lift up your heart and share with me
God wanted me now, He set me free.

~Author Unknown

Continuing to send Positive Vibes, Prayers, Hugs, and Love, Susan
(Mira's Mom in Southeastern PA)

Kathy said...

You not only are the best mom...but, looks like you took the title of Best Aunt too!! Whoo Hooo!!
lucky boys!
Maybe you should go in the "glow in the dark sword" business...gosh...they must make a fortune!
Glad you (and the boys) had a great get away!
Kathy

The Baileys said...

Krista,
It sounds like you had a great time at the circus! We are still thinking of you often. After reading your blog for months, we decided we would begin this seemingly addicting blogging stuff. We'll see how long that lasts! You can access it at http://zacharyandlauren.blogspot.com/
Take care!
Michelle (and David, Zachary & Lauren)