Friday, January 11, 2008

Still Struggling

Kate is still struggling. Her diarrhea has come back...once they got her up to 15 cc an hour...a far cry from the 40 she needs in order to get her caloric needs. They are going to continue to advance her feeds...but I'm sure they will stop or alter the plans if the diarrhea persists.

She had an surprise echo today...the doc grabbed the echo tech after he was done with the post-op echo of our roommate..and the report is that her function has not improved and in addition...her tricuspid leak has gotten worse. Surgically...there is nothing that can obviously be done...and she is a far cry from being able to handle any type of invasive procedure/surgery.

She appears a little fluid overloaded...as they have tried transitioning her to oral diuretics. The current doses aren't cutting it...so they are going to try and up her dosage.

She is still uncomfortable, restless and has very little energy right now...she won't even sit up. The nurses tell me she is much worse when she sees me...so I have hung low today. Plus...it is so hard for me to watch...and if she is worse when I am there and I can't console her...I don't want to fan the fire.

So..what does all this mean? Who knows. The doc just wants to continue to manage her medically with increased doses and see how she does. Honestly, I'm not too optimistic right now. She can barely breathe and pump her blood...let alone tolerate feeds....let alone thrive and play. We have altered plans in that Seth is going to go to Portland with Grandma and just Andy will come up this weekend. We don't know that we will get any answers...or that we can make any decisions...but just felt it was better if we could talk to each other and docs w/out Seth. That totally stinks and I'm going to miss him terribly...hopefully he won't be too disappointed...as Grandma does an awesome job of spoiling...I mean entertaining him!

So..that's the news for the day. Wish it could have been better...it's time again for that miracle God....we know You have it in you.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

KK --

Hang in there, my strong friend. I'm sending positive thoughts your way and hoping that Miss Kate rebounds soon!!

XOXO,
Mira

The Portas said...

Praying for a miracle!

Hugs to all of you.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to get a less than desired report. I'm still praying for an all-out miracle! I know too that God has it in His power. Now would be the time.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Krista, you couldn't be a better Mom and Seth and Kate are so blessed to have godly parents with such strong faith. She's probably "worse" when you are there because she wants to play with you and doesn't have the energy! Please know that we are praying for that miracle, and daily (momentary) grace for your peace while waiting. We pray you can feel the love, hugs, and prayers of all the people who are caring for you all.
Geri for the Morrical's at W. Walnut, Portland

Melissa said...

I'm sorry she is still having such a rough time. I can only imagine the pain this causes you all. I am glad that Andy will be with you this weekend to talk to the drs. I'm sure you both will miss Seth, but you're right, Grandma will get to do lots of spoiling! You know where I am this weekend between the hours of 7pm-7am. Feel free to call and vent if you need an ear!

Kathy said...

Krista,
Oh...I hate reading that kind of news. What's wrong with our kiddos?? Do they want us to turn totally gray before our time?/ Because, if that's all they want...I'll get a bottle of hair color today!
Tell them to give her some chewable pepto...that will clog her up...or squish some bananas into that g-tube! Are they going to switch her back to iv meds? And...I know with Isaac...I made them switch everything back to iv so his tummy could settle. They like to put it all in the g-tube...but, he couldn't handle it either. Especially anitbiotics...is she on any?? and are they given iv or g-tube?? It makes a difference....tell them that I SAID SO!

I will pray for you and Kate...that she'll purk up and shock the docs and that you get a break and some rest...Our baby dolls are PEAS IN A POD! They are destined for each other! Welcome to the family Krista!

Kathy

Deanna said...

We're pulling for you AND praying for you!!! Sending our love!!! :)

rachel said...

praying.

love you all.

<3
rachel

Anonymous said...

Please Lord, help to heal this little girl. Grant her and her family the miracle they so greatly deserve.

Many prayers for you Krista, Andy, Kate, & Seth!

Kim Tinker

Mel said...

I can only imagine how this feels for you and I'm so sorry you are having to watch your little girl struggle. I'm praying for that miracle and for God to give you clarity, peace and all the right people you need/want to talk to this weekend. He has not forgotten you and He is holding you in His loving arms even in this hard time.

Its just so hard to see what He's doing - but in Ecclesiastes 11:5 it says:
"As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things."

I guess this is when we know faith is real - when we trust even though we don't understand.
Praying for you all,
The Findleys

Anonymous said...

Hello Krista & Andy,
We send our prayers and love to you and your whole family. I thank you for your prayers for our family as well. I wanted you to know that Hope asked me every day how Katie was. I'm sure now she is talking with the Lord about her. We'll keep praying, but you call anytime if you need to talk! Love, The Millington's

Samantha said...

Krista,

I am praying for your precious girl.

Love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. We are praying for all of you and so sorry to hear of this latest news. Yes God can do a miricle if He wants and we are praying that He will see fit to do so. Call us if you need anything.
We love you guys
Sheri, Crystal, Ryan and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Krista,
We've been following Kate's journey for the last year and have been praying for your family often. My 4 year-old daughter prays for "baby Kate" before bed and my bible study group has also begun to pray for you all. This is the first time I've posted because I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that there are more prayer warriors praying their hearts out for your family. God is good and His plans are perfect. It's hard for my human mind to understand how this can be, but I trust it and I know you do too. May you have some moments of peace and comfort and may Kate get some relief this weekend. Praying for a miracle.
God Bless,
Elaine Rolf (Dottie Pitser's daughter)

Anonymous said...

Praying for God's healing touch for all of you!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Krista -

We are praying!

Shelly Ladwig

Anonymous said...

Bring 'em uo to speed, John!"

Hugs, Susan

Anonymous said...

Oops, wrong blog. Sorry! That's one of those times when "cut and paste" comes back to haunt you.

Know that everyone in "the Layman Tag Team" is closely held in my heart and cherished.

You are not alone. Lots of us are out here "listening" and praying for you.

Love, Susan

Judy Davis said...

Dear Krista, Hope this is just a phase since she is so fussy. Wish you were here in Fort Wayne instead of in that boring hospital.
Prayers are with all of you!
Hugs, hugs, Judy & Charlie

Anonymous said...

"Lord, we know you love your precious little daughter more than we can imagine. Please wrap your healing hands around her. Show us your mercy, show us your power, Amen."

We love you guys!
The Cookseys

Anonymous said...

Dearest Krista,

As you can tell, so many people care about Kate, you and your family. I hope this new day brings better things for you and Kate.

Always thinking of you,

Amy G.

Anonymous said...

sorry to read the bad news.

may God bless you all.

edd in tennessee