Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Are you ready for this?

Okay...so you remember how yesterday I said...stay tuned...it's going to be an exciting week! Well...it didn't even take a week for the excitement to happen...not even 12 hours! God is just that good!

So I get an email from Laura (my website-designing friend) about how her husband,Dalan, was talking to a friend at work. Well...it just so happens that this friend, Shannon...just signed up to be a part of our local radio stations (95.1) mini-version of "Oprah's Big Give!" And....She INSTANTLY fell in love with the idea...it tugged at her heart-strings having a 1 year old daughter herself...and she chose Kate's Kart as her charity! Can you believe it?

So...just since 8 this morning...emails have been flying through the entire community school system to all the teachers. I talked with Shannon tonight and she said already the response has been tremendous!

The contest officially starts on Thursday...she'll get $100 and until May 6th to see how big she can give back....to Kate's Kart. She will be on the radio station Thursday morning talking about it...and mentioning her charity! HOW COOL IS THIS?

So...if you want to help Kate's Kart AND help Shannon win the contest she is accepting new books, gift cards to book stores and/or cash donations and any other leads you may have who may want to help in the cause. You can contact her through her email at shannon.mcclure@fwcs.k12.in.us Since she so graciously and willingly chose us...it's the least we can do to help her win too! Everybody is a winner...especially the kids in the hospital.

For any new readers....Kate's Kart is a new charity we just started in honor of our daugther, Kate who passed away on January 15 due to a congenital heart defect at the age of 18 months. She spent many many weeks in the hospital...and one of her favorite things to do was look at books have others read to her. Volunteers will take around Kate's Kart to the pediatric floors and allow hospitalized children and their families to pick out brand new books for their own personal use and enjoyment. Our goal is to pass out books a couple times a week and really encourage the children and their families on an ongoing continual basis. We accept donations of new books, gift cards or cash to help supplement the purchase of books.

Today...I have just been on cloud nine...probably the first time in a long long time! I kept checking my email and there was always more good news. I realized...this project is helping to take away the sting of Kate's death. Yea...it's always going to be painful...but through Kate's Kart I am finding joy...joy in honor of her! Again...it shows me what an impact she had on so many people in such a short time...encourages me to give back just a portion of that encouragement.

So...keep checking in...it's exciting stuff around here! And...I know it won't be long before the website is up and running! I have a song running through my head...such an appropriate song for Kate's Kart! It's an oldie from Steven Curtis Chapman:

Saddle up your horses...we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
This is a life like no other - this is The Great Adventure

8 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!
I can feel your excitement through your post...YEAH!!!
What a blessing indeed!
We'll definately email her...and I'll post an excerpt from your blog on mine...YEAH!!!
I'm so happy for you Krista....this is so wonderful!!
Now...try not to stay up all night on the computer!
Love,
Kathy

Anne said...

I got chills reading your post tonight! What FUN!!! I think Kate's Kart is going to be such a huge success! I am so glad that even is such a sad time you can find joy! Isn't it great how our GOD provides in so many different ways!!! Looking forward to keeping up with the progress!

Melissa said...

That's awesome. Amazing how God works to make all things come together. What an tribute to your beautiful Kate!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome you guys. God is so good. We are so happy for you guys and wish we were closer to help you guys. Praying and thinking of you guys daily.
Sheri

Deanna said...

Deb received the email! (as a teacher in FW schools). Then, she proceeded to pass it on to a lot of people in her address book.... the word is spreading! :)

Samantha said...

This is fantastic news!!! I am so proud of you! I am sure that this is such a bittersweet thing for you. Kate continues to touch so many hearts and lives.

Lots of love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that Kate's Kart will be part of the Big Give. I hope that it will get a tremendous response. Can we send an e-mail to everyone here at Canterbury about donating or should we wait until it has been announced on the radio? I can't wait to see the Kart loaded with books!

Anita Bates

LeAnne said...

Sounds like things are falling into place quite well! So glad to hear about Kate's Kart taking off. I'm still praying!!

LeAnne Stahl