Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Final Step

We headed down to Portland Friday night. I knew it was going to be a bittersweet visit as it was Memorial Day Weekend...and the tombstones were supposed to be placed. As of Friday night...they weren't. Andy went on his yearly tradition of placing flags at veteran's grave sites around Jay County. I know it was hard for him...being that it was his first year without his dad/grandpa ever! He has down a tremendous job of carrying on that tradition. Click here for a newspaper article from last year.

Saturday morning...Andy did a lot of yardwork around his mom's 3 acre yard while Seth played. After lunch...we loaded into the car with our flowers to find the stones placed. We were all very happy with the way they turned out...and we have plenty of room for flowers/statues as the footer is plenty long. The stone is made of a pink granite. It is comforting to have her right next to Grandpa...I am glad we made that decision.





We placed the flowers for Kate and Grandpa and then headed to several other cemeteries in the area to honor Andy's grandparents and great-grandparents.

I guess it is all done now...not much more to do to "finalize" Kate's earthly passing. I am glad that her stone turned out so nice...as she is so much more deserving than a stick in the ground. But...it's hard to see your daughter's name carved in stone like that. I am so so grateful for "Kate's Kart" and the legacy she is leaving through that...it means so much to me and makes this whole process so much easier....not easy...just easier. Praise God for the hope of heaven!!


We all (my parents and my brother's whole family) are headed back tomorrow for a cookout with Cathy...and an opportunity for the rest of the family to see the stones. Should be a wonderful day...provided it doesn't rain. The boys will have a blast in Cathy's yard.

BTW...thanks to Cathy's (and my) friend, Alice...I got my hands on Karen Kingsbury's "Someday"...and finished it Friday night...yeah...in one sitting. Now...I guess I wait till the fall with the rest of the world to finish out the series.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

It's beautiful and such a tribute to your beautiful little girl. Keeping you all in my prayers. Enjoy your family time.

Anne said...

What a beautiful memorial to a beautiful little girl

Vanessa said...

What a beautiful head stone. I know it's not something you wanted to do but it really is a beautiful tribute to Kate. I am also glad to see she is next to her grandpa.

Hope you guys have a wonderful Memorial Day. Give everyone hugs from us!

LeAnne said...

What a great tribute to such a wonderful little girl! I especially like the picture with Seth in it...brought tears to my eyes.
Enjoy the rest of this extended weekend! It may rain, but somehow, I know you'll still have a great time!

LeAnne Stahl

The Portas said...

Oh Krista. The headstone is so perfect and so beautiful. I love it. Kate has left behind such an amazing legacy. What a special little girl!

xoxoxo

Samantha said...

Her head stone is just beautiful. It is so fitting of her...pink and a heart. I am sorry that this is something that you had to do. I am also so happy that she is next to her grandpa.

Heart Hugs,
Samantha

Kelly said...

It's beautiful! What a perfect stone for a perfect angel. I completely understand how hard it is to see your daughter's name in stone... it makes things seem so final.

Take care. Books for Kate's Kart will be mailed this week. I can't wait to hear how the first day of Kate's Kart goes. What a great way to honor Baby Kate.