Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Season of Thanksgiving

I've been inspired...some are listing things daily on Facebook and some do a Thursday weekly blog. I've decided...for the next 10 days, until Thanksgiving...I'll share just a few of the things I am grateful for. Of course I am always thankful for dishwashers and chocolate and mornings when I can sleep in....but for these posts, I hope to really explore 10 things in my life that I am truly, eternally grateful for....some meaningful things...things that truly define my life and who I am. There is no particular order...yes, some I'm more thankful for than others...but for these 10 things...I truly thank the Lord.





I remember it was spring of 2000...I had a great job...I had my own home...loving family...caring friends...but I was DESPERATELY LONELY. I was getting ready to turn 30 and pretty much resolved that I would NEVER get married. I had tried it all: Internet dating, friend dating...I even called some dating hotline (yeah...not a real jackpot of quality men there!).

One day I got a phone call at work...a fairly new friend asked if I was interested in going on a blind date. I said "sure"...I trust you. He was a high school classmate of hers. And he met my only 2 qualification I had at this time: He was tall and he was a Christian. She gave him my phone number...he called..we chatted a couple times and he asked me out on a date! Imagine my surprise when this...

(picture taken June 30--dating less than a month)
showed up on my doorstep...complete with flowers! He was tall...and DARK..and HANDSOME!

Well..the first date went well...we continued dating...and 18 months later...he proposed on one knee underneath the giant Christmas wreath downtown. The wedding plans were in full swing...the friend who introduced us...well she took our engagement pictures. (Which I might just add....she now has an INCREDIBLE photography business...check out her works of art here!)
And.. on August 3, 2002...my dreams came true! I found the man I was going to spend the rest of my life with...the man I was going to build a future...a family...a lifetime.


I am so thankful for my husband...for the life we live TOGETHER.
--thankful that he loves me for who I am...the good days and the bad
--thankful that he adores our children
--thankful that he provides for us in so many ways
--thankful he encourages me to pursue my interests--
--thankful he does home improvement projects himself to save us money
--thankful we made it through Kate's illness and death (do you know the rate of divorce is staggering when dealing with chronically ill or the death of a child)
--thankful for his commitment to our marriage
--thankful for HIM...the man I love.

We've obviously had some sad times in our life together...and we've had some wonderful times. We've spent our anniversary alone in a romantic cabin in the woods...we've also spent it in a camper in a hospital parking lot. We're building an incredible journey of memories...nurturing 2 amazing boys...managing a very blessed charity...
picture taken July 2010...Cape May, NJ
Today...and everyday...I am thankful for Andrew Nathan Layman...
my husband! picture taken before Grant's c-section...I think he looks pretty studly here!

6 comments:

The Saunders Family said...

wonderful...yes, sometimes waiting for those truly wonderful men can make a woman crazy, but they are SO worth the wait. And now I know why the wreath has such a special part of your Christmas tradition. Thanks for sharing your thankfulness.

Kristen said...

he can def pass as a doctor!!! I'm so glad you were able to find your "one"....

Anonymous said...

He's also a great son-in-law for which we are thankful.
Judy & Ted

mina said...

Awww, so romantic!

Anonymous said...

I am the blessed one!
Love Ya!
Andy

Laura said...

You literally gave me chills when I read this. You deserve it!