Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

We had a very nice day filled with family and food and fun.

I love the Macy's Day Parade...and the only good thing about Grant waking up at 6:30am was that he was ready for a nap at 9. So...Seth and I snuggled on the couch and watched the parade...dreaming of the day when I can actually see it in person. Wouldn't' that be the coolest...watching the parade..seeing the sights of NYC...someday...someday.
We did do a little cooking...fortunately I have parents who do all the cooking for Thanksgiving...so I usually just bring some appetizers/munchies. In addition to spinach dip and stuffed mushrooms, I saw this on FamilyFun.com and had to give it a shot. Seth and I had fun making our own fruit gobbler

And...I also made some persimmon pudding. Andy had grown up eating it at his grandparents. We tracked down some persimmon pulp and I made it Thanksgiving morning. I personally thought it was kind gross...but Andy loved it...so that is all that matters. And...Seth and I made these cute cookies on Wednesday while Grant napped.We headed to my parents around noon...munched on a quick light lunch...played with the cousins...talked...played cards...Andy and I did a quick running of the Kart at Dupont...sang to the player piano....chased Grant and Nia...tried to get babies to nap....fried turkeys ... (My dad has his own little side business of frying turkeys...I think he did 5 of them for some of his workmates plus one for us --YUM YUM...if you've never had friend turkey) and just spend time together.

We always celebrate Thanksgiving with some old time friends the Vollmers (you know, the ones who came from NC twice to watch Seth while Kate was in the hospital.) This is our 31st Thanksgiving together...and what was 8 has now grown to 20. We're not all around the same table anymore...but we're all together and that's what is important.

It was a great day...now if only I had taken more than 1 picture!

Side note: we did try our annual tradition of going downtown to see the lights get lit...but it was freezing and raining and gross. We waited about 10 minutes in the rain...Grant was screaming...his finger freezing (anyone have great gloves for a toddler) and we decided we'd just come back another night to see them all. It was disappointing since there were fireworks at the end... But...warm jammies, hot cocoa and a fire at home was pretty nice too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to the parade when Owen was 2 and Henry was 6 months. It was awesome! It was cold, rainy, and packed but I would definitely do it again. Now if could just talk my husband into it :)

Melissa

Kristen said...

love the treats!

The Saunders Family said...

persimmon pudding, ha, Larry loves it too and his aunt made some...I don't like it either!

Kathy said...

Krista...
I went to NY once for the parade...the back street boys were singing in it...
ahhh...to be young again!

I bet you could talk could talk those boys into a road trip!