Thursday, December 30, 2010


Due to the fact that Grant was up EARLY...I mean WAY EARLY...we had showered, dressed, eaten breakfast at a deli and walked over a mile to Willis (fka Sear) Tower by 8:30! We soon found out it didn't open till we lucked upon the money museum at the Federal Reserve. It was very cool...gave you lots of souvenirs (shredded money & Pictures) and it was FREE!
We got our "Hands on" a million dollars.... admired over $50,000 in coins in the money pit

saw a million dollars in dollar bills...if you would stack a million one dollar bills on top of each other...they would be 1.5 times as tall as the Willis Tower!

It was a pleasant stop and time killer before heading back to the Willis Tower. It took a while to get through the line, security, tickets, etc. (Grant actually fell asleep in his stroller for 90 minutes). But...we finally made it to the 103rd floor...on a beautiful morning with a great view.

and we stood on the glass ledge. It was a glass box that hung out over the edge! Seth was NOT afraid. It took Andy and me a few minutes to edge our way out. It was a cool perspective...but you soon realized how much trust you put in man!

couldn't find the right setting on the camera with the sun glaring in!

Grant finally woke up...he wasn't scared either!
We stopped for a yummy pizza lunch at Giordano's and took the long walk back. Our hotel was right next to the round condos/parking garage which made it real easy to find our hotel. Back to the hotel for a nap since we had all been up so early! I think everyone caught a few winks except for Grant! We bundled up again and headed down Michigan Ave and the Magnificent Mile. It was so many people...bustling down the avenue! We walked all the way to the Hancock Tower...went inside to see a model train set-up and then walked all the way back looking for the free trolley to Navy Pier. Miles later (and wouldn't you know, Grant caught his nap in the stroller again, amidst the noise and lights). We finally found the trolley and rode it to Navy Pier. It was packed as was hard to even push the stroller. We walked around and then grabbed dinner in the PACKED food court. Lesson learned...STAY AWAY from Navy Pier during Christmas time....except it does give you a cool view of the city...especially at night.
We rode the trolley back to State St. and grabbed some coffee/hot chocolate at Starbucks..cause seriously, there is one on EVERY corner. Seth had wanted to ride the Andy took Grant back to the hotel and Seth and I went for a joy ride on the subway!
We transferred lines and rode the "loop." Actually...we rode it a couple times cause at one point we got on the wrong color train. But with the help of a friendly lady...we got going the right direction and completed our tour. Seth loved it...he thought it was totally cool that we were above ground and below ground too!

Back to the hotel and we all hit the sack...knowing our alarm clock would sound early again!
I would have loved to have a Family Circus drawing of all the walking we did today. I was completely amazed at Seth...we had to walk MILES and he never once complained! He is definitely a big city boy!


Kristen said...

yikes! no thanks on that glass ledge!