Thursday, August 25, 2011

Getting into a routine!





It's been 2 weeks since Seth has been in school and 1 since Andy started. I think we're slowly adjusting to the new schedule...which means getting up and getting going. Grant has always made sure we have been getting up through the summer...but at least then we had the luxury of being lazy. Now...Andy is out the door by 6:15 and Seth is on the bus by 7:20.


Which leaves...me and Grant. It's a whole new dynamic. I was hoping to get him down for his nap by 12:30 and then have a couple hours to get some work done. Well...a week later and the most time I've had is about 25 minutes. We're staying busy...going swimming, going to parks, going to the Y, running errands. Plus...I love that 1 on 1 time with him...especially when he just wants to read and read books before nap.


Grant is now the age that Seth was when Kate was born. For obvious reasons...my attention wasn't always on our easy going Seth. He spent a lot of time at grandparents and with friends. Honestly, I feel like I missed out on most of his 2's...you know, being able to just really enjoy his new found freedom and independence. I am choosing to enjoy those moments with Grant...because he is a complete joy 1 on 1! Now...when Seth comes home...the chaos begins again and that "onery" side come back out.


My favorite Grantism right now...whenever I call him something that isn't his name, for instance: "come on slowpoke"...he is quick to reply: "I Gant." He's not my sweetie, my big boy or even my little cutie patootie: he is simply: "Gant"


Obviously with the bigger boys gone...we try to get as much family time in as possible. This past weekend we went hiking at Matea Park. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and a great day to just meander through the woods. The boys loved it! Then...we came home and made homemade chocolate mint ice cream! YUM YUM! (Yeah, we're still marking off our bucket list).


Grant did REALLY REALLY well...Andy only carried him the last 5 minutes...because if he didn't, we would still be out there picking up every stick and acorn we crossed!



Seth would have hiked all day too! He loves looking at maps and trying to figure out where we are and where we are going.




We got Grant a new life jacket! It is so cool...it's called a puddle jumper! At first he hated it and was scared to death...Now...he just bobs around in the pool. It's so cute! Trying to get in a

few more days of the outdoor swimming!



2 comments:

Jackie said...

Your school terms are so different to ours, our kids broke up at the end of July, and go back next week sometime. Not that we've had much of a summer though, a few nice days but that's all. Seth did well getting anaward in his first week!! Well done to him!

Shari said...

So happy for Seth! And, nice of you to reward him with ice cream! You do the neatest fun things! Makes me want to go hiking! Glad you are all off to a good school year! Looking forward to the next blog! :o)